Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New club, new year - new friends!

We had our first 4-H meeting last night and we had a great time. Erin is in a new club this year, the Young Riders. Aside from one mother/daughter, I knew no one at the meeting personally. I had seen most of them at shows or the fair but had never spoke to them on a personal level. And last night I didn't get to meet everyone but it was such a different atmosphere from the last club. The kids are kids but it was the parents who made the difference.

I like talking to people (most of the time...) but in the last club, the parents were all in sort of a "click" so in order to be part of that, you almost had to infiltrate the outer layer by some spectacular feat. Apparently, I didn't have enough spectacular-rificness to offer. At shows and the fair, they would all sit together and even though Erin and I were there, we were never included. Now, Erin was friends with the kids but you know what happens - the parents' influence over the kids eventually shows and then - ka-blooie.

I was in 4-H and I was an advisor and even started my own club - someone else took it over when I moved out of state for awhile. It is difficult to bond with parents, but that comes with the territory when you are in a leadership position. You have to stay objective and encouraging to everyone!

With Erin's previous club, what bothered me the most was that when other members of the group were showing, the parents and the kids clapped for the rider, including me. I love to cheer them on! But, when Erin was showing, they really did ignore her. Maybe it was because she was the new kid and frequently placed higher in the class then the veteran kids? (doing the ol' chicken-neck motion here) Probably, but that is so petty. When Erin placed lower than another member, you better believe I was clapping for them and if Erin wasn't, she was reminded that she needed to be. And she did. Erin has a natural "seat," as its called, when it comes to riding horses. It really is something that she was meant to do. I know its hard for some when they work hard and don't place well - but its just the way things are. I am surprised they didn't try to test Erin for steroids! hehe

Right away at the new club I felt welcome. I even got a hug from the mother and daughter I had met before and an encouraging "we're so happy to have Erin with us." Then, after the meeting (very well done as well), another mother spoke to me without any heavy feeling of "have to since you are new" to it.

I love watching Erin show but it has been a solo trip for me because she is busy with the horse and the other parents in our club gathered in their tight little circle.

I have a good feeling about this year though. Heck, I will admit it, I am verging on the edge of excitement =)

No comments: