Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Attacks where you love

I am preoccupied this morning - I’ve been thinking about my family and how precious they are to me.

Yesterday I was reading an online news article and my heart fell when I read the headline stating a Georgetown family of three was found dead in their home. I first thought it was going to be about a kerosene heater tragedy. I was stunned to read that it was a murder-suicide and then even more stunned to read that it was someone I grew up with and lives less than a mile from my father’s home.

I knew the Planck family from school and being in 4-H and FFA. All three kids and their parents were at the meetings and camp, and we all spent time together at the county fair. Normal family, kids, and circumstances. They were farmers just like us.

The father shot his wife and their 11 year old son and then himself. The article said they were going through a divorce. Okay, that is bad but to push someone to take the life of someone he loves, his own child, and then himself? Well, there really is no guessing-game there, we all know satan attacks where we love.

My thoughts have been - what could have prevented this from happening? We have talked about reaching the lost and how to be more effective in doing so. Was this guy one of the lost looking desperately to be found?

If he had had someone to confide in, someone to question, someone with a shoulder to cry on or someone who was just there to listen, who knows what the outcome would have been. This just shoots home that we need to be more aggressive in reaching out to others.

1 comment:

Jared said...

You're so right. I have been thinking a lot about this lately too. Today, I went to a guy at work that came to our Nativity and asked him if he went to church. He lives in Goshen, but we haven't really talked a whole lot. I am determining to make sure I talk to him now. I did find out that he and his wife have tried some churches in the area, so who knows. Maybe one day they will grace our church.