Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bacon-Challenged

Hi, my name is Trish and I can't fry bacon.

Okay, I attempt to fix it but it is either too crunchy or too chewy. I fixed a pound last night to include with fan-tabulous baked potato soup and threw it away! Dave graciously offered to fix some more and guess what? It turned out beautiful.

But, the real problem isn't that I can't fry it, it's that I am inconsistent. When I do fry bacon, at least one person in my house is happy because Dave likes it crunchy and Erin likes it chewy. So, the real issues are -

1. Consistency. No two times are alike! crunchy, chewy, crunchy, chewy
2. Satisfying. Trying to please two different people with the same thing at the same time is difficult.

So, these two things realy made me think (while Dave fried up the next pound, I had to time to ponder...)

Being consistent. For those who are OCD (or CDO), this probably isn't a challenge. But for those like me who have ten different things going on all at once and have OCD as well, it CAN be a challenge. Something to work on. ** Along with consistency comes dependability (can I get a "Uh Huh!")

Satisfying more than one person. Another lesson. We're all different and have different, although similar, needs. I have really learned a lot about this while serving with children at CP and over the years with soccer, scouts, 4-H, etc.

There are some children who want to participate, some who want to serve, and some who just want to "do." All of these are great traits and definitely necessary and make any children's class well-rounded. If you have ten kids all wanting to just "do" that would be a little difficult! As the big kid, you have to get to know each child and what gets them into the message. Whether it be reading from the Bible, handing out supplies, or commenting on the lesson, or even just listening, they each need to be involved in some way for the message to be effective.

So there is my admission for the day. I can relate anything to food. =)

3 comments:

Sarah S said...

I cannot fry bacon either! I bake bacon instead and it is so much easier for me. It turns out perfect for me that way as opposed to my bacon that I fry tending to be raw and burnt at the same time.
I love the way that you used that as an illustration :)

Trish Begley said...

I am going to start baking it too. I knew there was a secret out there somewhere!

Unknown said...

I baked mine too..less mess!