Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Review over - making plans for next year =)

So I had my annual review and it was fine - lasted about 2 minutes...lol After five years, he knows me. He looked over my evaluation sheet and his first comment was "why did you give yourself a 3 on quality of work? You're much better than that..." Blushing, I replied that I didn't want to boost myself too much and that I had found it difficult to be objective about my own performance. He said..."not me, I would have given myself all 5's" then laughed. I told him that that was what Dave said and we had a good laugh again. We didn't really discuss anything else, just moved on to the next person. The others did take longer but really, I get feedback from him everyday - and there is never a doubt that when something is not done properly, he will let me know. He has only sort of got on me for something 2x in the last five years so I guess he knows I strive to please. Next year I might just walk in there with all 5's just to see what he says!

But you know, striving to please others can also be detrimental. You can get so wrapped up in keeping the peace that the important facets of a situation can get lost. Another recent difficult situation that I have been tackling logically (and spiritually) just won't resolve and has continued to escalate. I have been praying to God to help me stop trying to control the situation and find a solution that will work.

I have been beating myself up personally over this. I told Dave yesterday that I better give myself a "2" on problem solving because I cannot get this put to rest! But, he reminded me that people are people and we can only do so much ourselves and that God will get us through it. He's so smart =)

2 comments:

Missy M said...

Yay! I'm glad that your review went well.

Sarah S said...

Always try to remember it will always work out the way it is supposed to. I know that is easier said than done but it is so true.