Thursday, December 18, 2008

Challenges of the decade

I was given two of the most challenging assignments in my career in one afternoon.

The first is a new project to manage - just a different type which I am actually excited about.

The second is that I have to review myself. This isn't a self-evaluation where I give my own thoughts on what I do well and where I need improvement to impress my manager - that's a separate document. This is for my annual review (raise...) that has to be from the perspective of my manager and will be put in my permanent file.

How do you do something like this objectively? Is this a test of my character? I don't want to pump myself up too much but I also don't want to dull it down too much. My boss just says: "Give yourself a good review." The questions are like this: degree of accuracy, thoroughness - ability to resolve issues and make appropriate decisions - ability to work/cooperate with others. I believe that I am adequate in these areas but am I a "3" (meets expectations) or am I a "4" (meets expectations and often goes beyond expectations)?? If I put a 4, is that an ego call? If I put a 3 am I not giving myself enough credit? I always try to go beyond but... what a conundrum!

Dave said I should just put all as a "5" (Outstanding), the highest ranking, and be done with it... Of course, although he is my biggest supporter, he has to say that =) And, I appreciate it.

2 comments:

Trish said...

I agree with Dave....just put a 5 on everything....you're awesome!

John said...

From what I know of you... I agree with Dave. Go with 5's across the board!