Friday, August 15, 2008

Can't we all just get along?

This week has been full of conflict. We have the presidential nominees throwing "he did this" but "he did that" all over the television and radio. We have the Olympics, which should provide some kind of unity among the nations -but instead leads to accusations of cheating. I am not saying it doesn't happen - we all know it does - but why does it have to happen? Can't we all just get along? (I have never read anything so sad as the article about the little girl in China who was deemed as "not cute enough" to sing the opening ceremony song. Come on! I saw the picture, she was adorable, what seven year old girl isn't?)

Then we have conflict at our home. But how do you explain to a teenager gowing into the world how to handle conflict when its not the kids she has to be wary of...that unfortunately, its adults! Shouldn't the adults be more capable of resolving their issues, understanding their own struggles? So-and-so #1 is being nice to her so she returns the kindness and they become friends. Uhoh, so-and-so #2 doesn't like so-and-so #1, so our daughter becomes a target for smack-talk. What does the parent do? For me, I try to be Switzerland! Let me talk to them and see what's going on and maybe with some kinds words and explanations, we can solve this quickly. That's the trick, right? I couldn't have been more wrong. Can you say "backfired?"

So, referring back to my previous blog, I prayed for God to help us find an answer. You know what he told me to do? Let it go. Guess what I did? I let it go. I talked to our daughter and told her the same thing. "This is going to pass so call up so-and-so #2's kid and just talk to her as you normally would - don't mention anything that has been going on. Let it go." Guess what worked? She called and the first two times it was awkward due to the adult who answered, but she made it through the second time and things are good. I hope that by taking that second deep breath that our daughter not only learned about humility herself but that she also taught others the same. It takes a big person to do what she did and I can't tell you how proud I am of her. She was hurt but found the courage through prayer to face the issue and deal with it. Girl, we love you --you rock!

No comments: